The Smell of Money (and other "Unmentionables"

As our days get increasingly warmer here in Western Nebraska, the "smell of money" begins to fill the air. Now ~ I grew up as a "big city kid" so when I first moved to rural Nebraska,  I had no idea what people meant by that saying: "the smell of money". All I knew was that it smelled BAD! 

(If you are also a "big city kid" and don't know what I'm talking about, I'll let you in on a little secret....  apparently "money" smells exactly like cow poop!) 

Recently, there was another smell emanating through the Valley and it was coming from my backyard! Spring has sprung and with it the glorious event that takes place every year about this time: It was "pond mucking out day"!  Oh joy! This is an experience everyone should have at least ONCE in their life.....and once is about all you probably can stand!  You see, we have a very small, homemade pond and creek in our backyard that we shut off during the winter. Thus, rain/snow water, leaves, and other "organic material" (dead bugs, worms, and other unmentionables!) collect in it all winter, creating a very special aroma by the time spring comes!

All I can say is that I am eternally grateful that the mess and stench have remained outside my house. Unfortunately a similar mess can happen inside your house. It's called sewer backup and I would imagine it is even less fun than "pond mucking day". An optional insurance coverage for this can be purchased, generally for a reasonable premium. Often the coverage is limited to a $5,000 or $10,000 maximum. However, if your sewer system backs up into your home, I am sure that any amount of coverage would be very welcome.

For more information on this or other insurance coverages, please visit with our knowledgeable agents: call or click 308-436-4202 or www.insurance-by-katie.com .

By the way, my husband has informed me that next year during the blessed "pond mucking event", I will have the happy privilege of serving as the Grand Master of Ceremonies (basically he has turned in his resignation). I am thinking that as Grand Master, my first order of business will be to delegate the duties of "pond mucker". Anyone want to apply?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To post a comment type in the box below then click the "Comment as" dropdown box and select one of the identities listed. If you do not have an account with any of these, select "Anonymous" but please be sure to list your name/initials within your comment so I know who you are. Thanks for commenting!